Question:
If the NY Giants struggle early on will NY "fans" call for Manning to be traded and for Coughlin to be fired?
Go Wit Da Flow
2008-08-18 22:17:37 UTC
Even though they are the superbowl champs... if the Giants were to struggle early on do you expect a large percentage of NY's fickle fanbase to start attacking them and calling for a certain trade and a certain firing? Now... I know, I know... Boston certainly has a large contigency of obnoxious fans, though I think that comes with the territory when you always have to listen to people trash your teams... but atleast were loyal. I mean... after the Patriots lost the superbowl... Gillette wasn't quiet and the fans didn't simply forget about them... when Belicheck and the team got back to the stadium there were thousands of fans there cheering for THEIR team. You wouldn't of seen that in NY.
Eleven answers:
sonar
2008-08-18 22:46:05 UTC
A couple of details to keep in mind first. If you're in the NY area, you'll know what I mean:

1. NYC is the largest media market in the world. NY media often makes things up and exagerates even the truth for a wider readership and more advertiser revenue.

2. The reason the Jints set the NFL record of 11 straight road wins last year, many say, is because their own fans were booing them too much at home. Often the stadium emptied early, until the last game against NE.

3. A SB brings with it many "bandwagon" fans. These fans stick around only for the good times, not the bad ones. The Jints have picked up a substantional number of them this off-season.

4. While New Yorkers are sophisticated, they are also vulnerable to what they read and hear from their media. Last year this time, the media and the fans were calling for Coughlin & Manning to be fired ASAP.

5. There is a small minority of fans that have always bELIeved in Manning...and, even, Coughlin after he changed his personality during last year's TC.

OK, with all this being said, being the SB MVP and winning the SB have bought Manning-Coughlin some time, even with the media and with the bandwagoners.

If they do poorly for the first half of the season, they'll still get some slack because everyone will say, "Looks like how they started last year, but they still won the SB"

Now, if it should ever, ever look like the G-Men won't make even a wild-card playoff spot, you'll start to hear stuff like, "LET DAVID CARR START" and "COUGHLIN RETIRE! WE WANT SPAGS!"

However, as improbable as it was, this duo has given the Jints the best SB in their history, and possibly in the history of the SB. It's hard to sound too "bandwagony" and hate on them in just the first year after it. As Steve Sobal of NFL Films says of the Tyree-Eli play, "THAT WAS THE BEST PLAY IN THE HISTORY OF THE SB...if not in the entire history of the sport!"

So, while there may well be some grumblings if they do poorly in the beginning, it will be like .1% compared to what M&C have had to deal with in past years. Even the media say that what Manning & Coughlin did shut up the "nay-sayers" (i.e. their own bad selves last year) with the SB historic win.

GO ELI! GO COUGHLIN! GO SPAGS! GO GILBRIDE! GO YE SLAYERS OF THE 18-0!
Jay L
2008-08-19 02:32:14 UTC
It's like Joe Namath said after the game, now that Manning has won a Super Bowl he will never have to reach into his pocket in a bar or restaurant in NYC again. I think that goes for on the field as well. We, New York Football Giants Fans, are not as stupid and impatient as many other fans around the NFL. We gave Parcells the time he needed to win us two, and we expect the G-Men to work hard, do well and maybe get us another ring. Coughlins job is safe as long as he doesn't start picking off motorists on the Garden State with a rifle!
angel90045
2008-08-18 22:28:37 UTC
I am a devoted NY Giants fan and I would say that depends on how they do this season. If they do decently Coughlin and Manning are safe, if they are as bad as the Dolphins were last year...there will be problems.

Also...I live in Boston and I can assure you that Giants fans are JUST AS LOYAL as Patriots fans. And maybe the reason why the fans were cheering for THEIR team is because the Patriots made history and went 17-1, of course with that being one GIANT LOSS.
Raider Nation
2008-08-19 00:55:48 UTC
i think the Giants fans will start getting uneasy if the Giants start messing up early and there might be a few boos here and there , and another thing , stop justifying your Patriots cheating , complaining and whining that every other team does it over and over , get over it , the Patriots cheated they got caught and punished and it's over, deal with it and here is another little tidbit for you , i remember we had this conversation before , according to you , what the Patriots were doing wasn't illegal prior to 2006 , so that mean , that no team were breaking the rules prior to 2006 , But the Patriots were still doing it after 2006 , so that means the Patriots were the only ones breaking that rule , i'll expect your e-mail
rockabillly motha******
2008-08-18 22:31:19 UTC
you guys are just disgruntled because you blessed pats have been in dissarray and fallen from the lofty heights that you dreamed they'd reach, being that you thought they would be regarded with the niners and the steelers and after losing the superbowl, and the lies and video tape scandal well that aint happening,

also the giants were horrible the year after both superbowl wins and they still loved the players and the teams because once you win you're a legend,,, at least for one year,,, also i will add that you are right, new york and philly fans are the worst in the league, you never boo your own team,,, it's stupid,,, but you pats fans aren't much better you're all from the north east and your society and culture are very similar to the cities that you hate
2008-08-18 23:25:57 UTC
NY fans had to eat crow last year when they were screaming for Coughlin's head and demanding the benching of Eli Manning,maybe the fans have grown some brains this year and let the team do their thing
Pathofreason.com2
2008-08-18 22:25:29 UTC
I am from NY and I am also a Diehard Patriots fan. NY fans are just about as bad as Philly fans. They turn on their teams at the drop of a hat. They are only loyal when they are winning.
ny21tb
2008-08-19 04:12:35 UTC
I am sure, a lot of them will...it's NEW YORK but, a few of Us who, have been through much harder times, will ride out any drought that may come and, back Our team fully. I survived the seventies.
2008-08-18 23:22:30 UTC
coughlins a great coach and manning has grown up in a family of QBs im pretty sure they will be alright
Chad K
2008-08-19 10:51:08 UTC
Yes, what have you done for me lately? Stop dwelling on last year if you don't perform now get out!!
betotron don
2008-08-18 22:27:11 UTC
winning today at all cost prevails everywhere